We all have heard the term balanced diet numerous times. But have you ever wondered what does a balanced diet usually entail? In simple terms, a balanced diet is a diet that gives your body all the essential nutrients to function properly. A balanced diet is essential for good health, adequate sleep, weight loss, and overall well-being. In order to get a proper balanced nutrition; you should include all the nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals in your diet. A human body usually gets a daily source of energy from wholesome and nutritional foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean sources of proteins. Below is the list of some essential nutrients which should be included in our daily diet.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Fruits and vegetables are the primary sources of vitamins and minerals including potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C. These micronutrients support metabolism, nerve and muscle function, bone maintenance and cell production. A diet full of fruits and vegetables will provide you all the essential vitamins and minerals. You should also try and opt for fresh fruits instead of packaged juices or canned fruits.
- Proteins: Proteins are required to help your body repair cells and build new ones. Proteins are also important for growth and development during the early stages of childhood, adolescence, and pregnancy. Also, proteins keep you full for longer and curb your hunger pangs. Foods like meat, milk, peas, whole grains, lentils and rice, cottage cheese, eggs, fish, pulses, nuts are high sources of proteins and aid in quick weight loss.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are an integral part of a balanced diet. Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for the voluntary as well as involuntary functions of the body. Consuming some healthy carbohydrates such as brown rice, wheat, ragi, jowar, bajra, oatmeal, quinoa, and potatoes among others. Hence, carbohydrates should not be avoided and it should be a part of your daily diet.
- Fats: Healthy fats provide us energy and synthesize hormones. There are three kinds of fats namely, polyunsaturated such as walnuts, flax seeds, etc; monounsaturated fat such as olive oil and omega-3 fatty acids such as fish oil, walnuts, etc. When it comes to oil, it is better to use unrefined or cold-pressed oil which has high nutritional value than the unrefined oil.
Following are the pre-requisites of a balanced diet:
- The correct meal time.
- Including a list of healthy foods.
- Say no to processed foods. Instead, go for fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Portion control is extremely essential.
- Reduce the intake of unhealthy fats.
Needless to say, balance is extremely crucial for any fitness goal; whether it is weight loss, build muscle mass or improve athletic performance. A healthy balanced diet along with regular weight loss goals can help you achieve your fitness goals.