Cough can be really irritating and can keep you disruptive throughout your day and keep you up at night. Cold, infection, acid reflux, allergies or pollutants and side effects of medications are some of the primary causes of cough. A dry throat can also cause discomfort when you swallow and can leave you with crispy cough. It may also occur after eating some foods. One should have soup, vitamin C and spicy foods which will be comforting for dry cough. At the same time, avoiding certain foods may reduce the inflammation and throat spasms that trigger different types of coughing. Mentioned below is the list of things you should keep in mind if you have cough:
- Milk: Milk may increase mucus. Dairy products and drinking milk stimulates mucus production in the respiratory tract including lungs and throat. Therefore, it is better to eliminate milk from your diet when you have cough. Instead ginger, green or herbal tea can soothe your throat.
- Dehydration: Dry throat may be discomforting when you swallow and may lead to cough. It is advisable to drink plenty of fluids but avoid foods such as caffeine, coffee and energy drinks. Also, include warm soups and herbal tea in your diet.
- Avoid processed foods: Packaged or processed foods are a complete no when you have dry cough. You can cure yourself from coughing if you avoid refined or processed foods. Foods such as white bread, white pasta, baked foods, chips and sugary deserts should be replaced with green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits and nutrient dense whole foods.
- Citrus fruits: Fruits with citric acid may cause acid reflux aggravating your throat and triggering cough. Fruits that have lot of water content like watermelon, pears, pineapples, peaches should be included in your diet.
- Honey: We have heard the health benefits of honey since time memorial. Honey is a simple yet effective remedy to treat common cold and cough. You can simply drink hot water with a pinch of honey with it or a herbal tea with some tulsi leaves and a drop of honey in it. You can even make a thick mixture by adding honey and pepper. Take this before going to bed.